By Brian Faulkner On
Turnip and Chickpea Soup
Turnips are underrated and overlooked. They make an excellent, nutritious soup. Serve as a starter or a main course.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 BCfresh onion, chopped
- 1 BCfresh turnip, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 28-oz/796-mL can chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ head lettuce, shredded
- Grated cheddar cheese
- In large pot heat the oil and sauté the garlic, onion, turnip, and celery. Add the chickpeas, stock, salt and pepper and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the lettuce for the last 5 minutes. Serve sprinkled with cheese.