By Brian Faulkner On
Root Vegetable Soup
This is a feast from the farm in a bowl. Serve with crusty bread on a cool autumn night.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 BCfresh shallots, diced
- 2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 BCfresh turnips, peeled and diced
- 2 BCfresh parsnips, peeled and diced
- 2 BCfresh rutabagas, peeled and diced
- 2 BCfresh potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 fennel bulb, halved, cored and diced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Vegetable stock
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté shallots and ginger in oil for 5 minutes. Add parsnips, rutabagas, turnips, potatoes, fennel, and cinnamon stick. Add enough stock to cover the vegetables. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes. Remove from heat, discard cinnamon stick and puree soup 3 seconds. Season with a few dashes of vinegar. Serve.