Another amazing recipe created by Chef Wes Levesque, the Superfood Chef and owner of Urban Village Catering.
Learn more about Chef Wes on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/uvcatering
BCfresh Root Vegetable Risotto
- 1 large turnip
- 1 large rutabaga
- 2 golden beets
- 1 parsnip
- 1 shallot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp extra virgin organic coconut oil
- 1/2 - 1 cup chicken stock pre-heated in microwave or stove top)
- 1/2 - 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp saffron
- Peel all vegetables and mince finely into size of rice.
- In a large saucepan melt coconut oil over med-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot add all of the minced vegetables.
- Sauté veggies until slightly soft and transparent (about 3 min)
- Add chicken stock 2 tbsp. at a time - stirring between each addition making sure the veggies absorb the stock before adding more
- Cook vegetables to al dente (still slightly firm)
- Once “risotto” is al dente, add saffron and slowly add coconut milk until mixture is creamy - you don't need to use all the coconut milk
- Turn off heat and continue to stir every minute until the veggies start slightly binding from the starches.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Serve to guests and impress everyone at your table with your vegan and gluten free, healthy risotto!