Another amazing recipe created by Chef Wes Levesque, the Superfood Chef and owner of Urban Village Catering.
Learn more about Chef Wes on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/uvcatering
BCfresh Root Vegetable Risotto
Not your Nonna's 'traditional' rice-based risotto, this interpretation is quick to cook and a fun take on an Italian classic!
- 1 large turnip
- 1 large rutabaga
- 2 golden beets
- 1 parsnip
- 1 shallot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp extra virgin organic coconut oil
- 1/2 - 1 cup chicken stock pre-heated in microwave or stove top)
- 1/2 - 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp saffron
- Peel all vegetables and mince finely into size of rice.
- In a large saucepan melt coconut oil over med-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot add all of the minced vegetables.
- Sauté veggies until slightly soft and transparent (about 3 min)
- Add chicken stock 2 tbsp. at a time - stirring between each addition making sure the veggies absorb the stock before adding more
- Cook vegetables to al dente (still slightly firm)
- Once “risotto” is al dente, add saffron and slowly add coconut milk until mixture is creamy - you don't need to use all the coconut milk
- Turn off heat and continue to stir every minute until the veggies start slightly binding from the starches.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Serve to guests and impress everyone at your table with your vegan and gluten free, healthy risotto!
Preheating the chicken stock speeds up the cooking time and yields better finished results