This colourful, rustic salad toss combines Mediterranean ingredients such as fresh basil, tomatoes and olive oil with a duo of tender roasted beets. It’s ideal as a side dish with grilled chicken or steak.
Roasted Two-Beet Panzanella Salad
- 8 oz 250 g BCfresh gold beets, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes
- 8 oz 250 g BCfresh red beets, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes
- 3 tbsp 45 mL olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp 2 mL salt, divided
- Four slices sourdough bread each about 1/2 inch/1 cm thick
- 3 tbsp 45 mL extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp 15 mL sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp 15 mL coarsely chopped drained capers
- 1 small clove garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp 1 mL each salt and pepper
- 1 cup 250 mL loosely packed baby spinach
- 1 cup 250 mL halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup 125 mL diced English cucumber
- 1/2 sweet yellow pepper thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup 75 mL thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup 75 mL crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 cup 60 mL chopped fresh basil
- Preheat grill to medium heat. In bowl, toss gold beets with 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil and half of the salt; place on one half of double-layer foil square. Fold foil over and crimp edges together to create a halfmoon–shaped packet. Repeat with red beets, 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil and remaining salt.
- Grill packets, with lid down, side by side over medium heat, turning once, for 50 to 60 minutes or until beets are tender when pierced with tip of paring knife. Carefully transfer beets and any juices to separate bowls, discarding foil; set aside.
- Meanwhile, brush bread all over with remaining olive oil. Grill over medium heat, turning once, for 1 to 2 minutes per side or until toasted and lightly charred. Transfer to cutting board; let cool and cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes.
- Caper-Garlic Dressing: In large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar,capers, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Salad: Add bread cubes, spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, yellow pepper, onion, and yellow beets with juices to bowl with dressing; toss to coat. Top with drained red beets. Sprinkle with goat cheese and basil.
Sherry vinegar can be replaced with apple cider vinegar if desired.