Rhubarb Strawberry Pie
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 454 g 1 lb fresh rhubarb, washed and chopped
- 680 g 1.5 lbs fresh strawberries - washed, hulled and quartered
- 1 prepared 9 inch double crust pie - prepared as per crust recipe with top layer reserved
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg yolk beat with 1 tbsp water
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees °F (200 degrees °C).
- In a large bowl, mix flour and sugar. Add strawberries and chopped rhubarb. Toss with sugar and flour and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Pour filling into pie crust. Dot top with butter, and cover with top crust. Seal edges of top and bottom crust with water.
- Using a pastry brush apply egg wash to top crust,. Sprinkle crust with sugar and cut small holes in top to let steam escape.
- Bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C), for 35 to 40 minutes, or until bubbly and brown. Cool on rack.
Works great with store bought pie dough - be sure to buy enough for the top!