Quinoa Salad with Charred Broccoli & Carrots
Super grain, super food, and super protein that tastes super good! I combine it with charred BCfresh broccoli and carrots to bring it into the modern culinary world. This salad is a perfect choice for lunch or as a side for any main dish.
- 1 cup black quinoa
- Fleur de sel
- 1 lb BCfresh broccoli trimmed and cut into florets
- 1 lb BCfresh carrots sliced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon or squeezing
- 2/3 cup pesto
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts or almonds
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley finely chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil, then add the quinoa and a pinch of salt. Turn the heat down and simmer, covered, for about 12 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
- While the quinoa is cooling, heat your barbecue or grill pan to medium-high. Lightly toss the broccoli and carrots with the olive oil and char on all sides for about 20 minutes, turning occasionally; you want the broccoli and carrots blackened all over. Season with a bit of fleur de sel while it is cooking. Once the carrots and broccoli are all charred, transfer to a bowl and give them a good squeeze of lemon juice.
- To serve, place the quinoa in a serving dish, spoon the pesto over, and mic well to distribute evenly. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, nuts, parsley, and charred broccoli and broccoli.
- Taste for seasoning and give it a grind of fresh pepper if you like. Finish with the Parmesan cheese.