Bacon adds a smoky touch to this hearty meal-in- a-bowl soup.
Potato, Bacon and Egg Chowder
- 3 cups 750 mL BCfresh Yellow Flesh Potatoes (about 1 lb/500 g), peeled and cubed
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon diced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 tbsp 15 mL fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp 30 mL all-purpose flour
- 4 cups 1 L chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tsp 7 mL Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp 5 mL mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp 1 mL salt
- 1/4 tsp 1 mL pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup 250 mL whole milk
- 2 tbsp 30 mL chopped fresh chives
- In saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat, stirring often, for about5 minutes or until crisp; using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel–lined plate.
- Drain all but 3 tbsp (45 mL) bacon fat from saucepan; add potatoes, onion, celery, carrot and thyme. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes or until onions are softened and golden. Stir in flour until vegetables are well coated.
- Add broth, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt and pepper; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Using immersion blender, pulse 4 or 5 times to make smooth yet chunky soup.
- Meanwhile, place eggs in small saucepan and fill with enough water to cover by 1 inch (2.5 cm). Bring to boil and remove from heat; cover and let stand for 4 1/2 minutes. Drain and run eggs under cold running water.
- Peel and halve eggs; place egg halves in soup bowls. Ladle chowder into bowls; sprinkle with chives and reserved bacon.
Add 1 cup (250 mL) of cooked corn kernels to chowder if desired.