By Brian Faulkner On
Pan-Fried Rutabaga and Apples
Crisp apples and spicy ginger boosts the rutabaga’s natural flavour. Serve with pork or beef.
- 1/2 BCfresh rutabaga, peeled, sliced into ¼-inch pieces
- 2 apples, cored, quartered, and each quarter cut in 5 thin wedges
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the rutabaga and cook 3 to 5 minutes until slices are golden brown on both sides. Add the apples and ginger and toss. Stir in apple juice. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 5 minutes, until rutabaga is tender. Remove lid, increase heat, and cook until juices have reduced, about 3 minutes.