By Brian Faulkner On
Onion Cream Tart
This Alsatian onion pie goes well with a glass of champagne. Add a tossed salad for a light lunch.
- 2 cups flour
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 4 tbsp ice-cold water
- In a food processor add flour, salt, and butter. Pulse until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add water 1 tbsp at a time until the dough comes away in a ball. Remove, wrap in waxed paper and chill for up to 1 hour.
- Press dough into a pie plate. Prick the bottom, cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 5 to 8 minutes.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 BCfresh yellow onion, sliced into rings
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ cup light cream
- Melt the butter in a pan and sauté the onion, garlic, salt, and pepper until the onions are soft and translucent. Spoon into the cooked tart shell.
- Beat the eggs, nutmeg, and cream together and pour over the onions.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes and serve hot, warm, or cold.