By Brian Faulkner On
Candy Cane Beets with Orange and Fennel
The mild, earthy flavour of beets pairs well with citrus. Try this dish with grilled halibut.
- 4 medium BCfresh Candy Cane beets
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 oranges, preferably blood oranges
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 fennel bulb--halved, cored and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 tsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a small baking dish, pour 1/2 inch of water over the BCfresh Candy Cane beets. Drizzle with 2 tbsp of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cover with foil and bake for about 1 hour, or until tender.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel them and slice them 1/4 inch thick. Using a sharp knife, peel the oranges, removing all the bitter white pith. Working over a bowl, cut in between the membranes to release the orange sections. Squeeze the juice from the membranes into the bowl.
- In a small saucepan, simmer 1/4 cup of the orange juice over moderate heat until reduced to 1 tbsp, about 5 minutes. Pour the reduced orange juice into a bowl and mix in 1 tbsp of the lemon juice and 1 tbsp of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining 2 tbsp of lemon juice with the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add the fennel and parsley and toss well.
- In another medium bowl, toss the beets with the orange juice vinaigrette. Arrange the sliced beets on plates and mound the fennel salad on top. Arrange the oranges around the beets and serve.