Cacio e Pepe Potatoes
Made with potatoes instead of pasta, this tasty Roman dish is flavoured simply with cheese (cacio) and pepper (pepe).
- 2 lb 1 kg BCfresh Pacific Pearl white potatoes
- 1/4 cup 60 mL olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp 7 mL cracked pepper, divided
- 1/4 tsp 1 mL salt
- 1 1/4 cups 300 mL finely grated Pecorino cheese, divided
- 2 tbsp 30 mL finely chopped fresh parsley
- In large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook potatoes for about 20 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup (60 mL) cooking liquid. Cut potatoes into quarters; return to saucepan.
- Toss together potatoes, oil, 1 tsp (5 mL) pepper, and salt; stir in 1 cup (250 mL) cheese and reserved cooking liquid. Transfer to serving dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and pepper. Garnish with parsley.
For an even richer dish, substitute butter for olive oil.