By Brian Faulkner On
Cacio e Pepe Potatoes
Made with potatoes instead of pasta, this tasty Roman dish is flavoured simply with cheese (cacio) and pepper (pepe).
- 2 lb (1 kg) BCfresh Pacific Pearl white potatoes
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) cracked pepper, divided
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) finely grated Pecorino cheese, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
- In large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook potatoes for about 20 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup (60 mL) cooking liquid. Cut potatoes into quarters; return to saucepan.
- Toss together potatoes, oil, 1 tsp (5 mL) pepper, and salt; stir in 1 cup (250 mL) cheese and reserved cooking liquid. Transfer to serving dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and pepper. Garnish with parsley.
- Substitute Parmesan for Pecorino cheese if desired.
- For an even richer dish, substitute butter for olive oil.