Butternut Squash and Sage Pizza with Broccoli Pesto
- 2 cups 500 mL BCfresh Broccoli, cut into Florets
- 1/2 cup 125 mL packed fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup 60 mL walnuts
- 1/4 cup 60 mL grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup 75 mL olive oil
- 1 tsp 5 mL lemon zest
- 1 tbsp 15 mL lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp 1 mL each salt and pepper
- Pinch hot pepper flakes
- 1 lb 500 g prepared pizza dough
- 8 oz 250 g fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1/2 small BCfresh Butternut Squash peeled
- 2 tbsp 30 mL finely chopped fresh sage
- 4 slices prosciutto torn in half
- Broccoli Pesto: Preheat oven to 425˚F (220˚C). In large pot of boiling salted water, cook broccoli for 2 to 4 minutes or until tender; drain well and let cool to room temperature. In food processor, purée broccoli, basil, garlic, walnuts, Parmesan, oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, pepper and hot pepper flakes until smooth.
- Pizza: Cut butternut squash into 1/8-inch (3 mm) thick rounds. On lightly floured surface, roll out pizza dough into 12-inch (30 cm) round, about 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick. Transfer to floured pizza pan. Spread pesto over dough, leaving 1/2-inch (1 cm) border all around. Top with mozzarella, squash and sage.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown, bubbly and squash is tender. Let stand for 2 minutes before slicing. Arrange prosciutto over pizza.
Use a mandolin slicer or food processor to thinly slice butternut squash.
Use regular, whole wheat or spelt pizza dough.
Substitute pine nuts or pecans for walnuts if desired.