Beet Fritters with Lemon Dill Yogurt
Do you love roast beets but are looking for new ways to prepare this amazing veggie? Shred them and a potato to make these crispy fritters.
- 4 medium BCfresh beets (about 1 lb.)
- 1 large or 2 medium BCfresh yellow or Pacific Pearl™ potatoes (about 283g or 10 oz.)
- 1 medium BCfresh onion
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, plus more
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 tbsp panko
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
- 2 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dill
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 300° and place a wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet on the middle rack. Place a colander or large sieve over a large bowl; line Line a sieve with 2 layers of paper towels; set over a large bowl. Remove stems and greens from beets; set aside. Scrub beets and potato, then grate on the large holes of a box grater into prepared sieve, followed by onion. Season with salt and toss well. Let vegetables sit at least 25 minutes.
- Working with a large handful at a time, squeeze grated vegetables to drain any remaining and transfer to a medium bowl as you go; discard liquid. Mix in eggs, panko, cornstarch, coriander, cumin, and 1½ tsp. salt.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 Tbsp. oil over medium-high. Working in batches of 3 or 4, scoop ¼-cupfuls of vegetable mixture into pan and flatten into thin pancakes. Cook until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to wire rack and keep warm in oven until ready to serve.
- Place yogurt in a small bowl with dill, squeeze juice from ½ lemon and mix well; season with salt and pepper. Slice remaining lemon half into wedges.
- Serve fritters with beet greens yogurt and lemon wedges.