These Japanese-style pancakes are loaded with cabbage, green onions and bacon for a delicious savory treat. Okonomiyaki translates to “grill as you like it,” so add whatever you like to the batter and garnish with your favourite toppings.
- 3 cups 750 mL finely shredded BCfresh Cabbage
- 3/4 cup 175 mL all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp 2 mL salt
- 1/2 cup 125 mL low-sodium chicken broth or water
- 4 eggs
- 2 green onions finely chopped
- 4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 tbsp 30 mL pickled ginger, chopped
- 2 tbsp 30 mL sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup 60 mL canola oil (approx.), for cooking
- 1/3 cup 75 mL hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp 30 mL sriracha hot sauce
- In large bowl, stir flour with salt. In separate bowl, whisk broth with eggs; whisk into flour mixture. Fold in cabbage, green onions, bacon, ginger and sesame seeds.
- In large non-stick skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium-high heat; add two ½ cup (125 mL) portions of batter to skillet, pressing down gently with spatula to flatten. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until bottom is browned. Flip over; cook for 5 or 6 minutes or until cooked through. Repeat with remaining batter, adding more oil to skillet as needed.
- Serve with hoisin sauce and hot sauce.