By Brian Faulkner On
Acorn Squash Salad
This salad bursts with Asian flavours and makes a complete vegetarian autumn dinner.
- 1 BCfresh red onion, peeled and chopped
- Juice from two limes
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp red curry paste
- 3 cups BCfresh acorn squash, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- Olive oil
- 1 28-oz/796-mL can chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Sea salt
- In a small bowl combine the chopped red onion, lime juice and a generous pinch of salt. Stir and set aside. In another small bowl whisk the coconut milk and curry paste together. Season with a pinch of salt and set aside. Toss the squash with a splash of olive oil, sprinkle with salt and arrange on a baking sheet. Separately, in a casserole dish, toss the garbanzo beans with the coconut-curry milk. Place both the squash and beans in the oven and bake at 375°F for about 15-20 minutes. Toss the squash once after about ten minutes to get browning on multiple sides. Remove the beans and squash from the oven. Add about half of the reserved red onions and most of the cilantro to the beans and toss. Taste and add a bit more salt if needed. Add the squash and toss very gently to keep squash structure intact. Serve in bowls or on a platter garnished with the remaining red onions and cilantro.