By Tech Assistance On
Roasted Two-Beet Panzanella Salad
This colourful, rustic salad toss combines Mediterranean ingredients such as fresh basil, tomatoes and olive oil with a duo of tender roasted beets. It’s ideal as a side dish with grilled chicken or steak.
- 8 oz (250 g) BCfresh gold beets, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes
- 8 oz (250 g) BCfresh red beets, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt, divided
- Four slices sourdough bread (each about 1/2 inch/1 cm thick)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) coarsely chopped drained capers
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) loosely packed baby spinach
- 1 cup (250 mL) halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced English cucumber
- 1/2 sweet yellow pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh basil
- Preheat grill to medium heat. In bowl, toss gold beets with 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil and half of the salt; place on one half of double-layer foil square. Fold foil over and crimp edges together to create a halfmoon–shaped packet. Repeat with red beets, 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil and remaining salt.
- Grill packets, with lid down, side by side over medium heat, turning once, for 50 to 60 minutes or until beets are tender when pierced with tip of paring knife. Carefully transfer beets and any juices to separate bowls, discarding foil; set aside.
- Meanwhile, brush bread all over with remaining olive oil. Grill over medium heat, turning once, for 1 to 2 minutes per side or until toasted and lightly charred. Transfer to cutting board; let cool and cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes.
- Caper-Garlic Dressing: In large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar,capers, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Salad: Add bread cubes, spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, yellow pepper, onion, and yellow beets with juices to bowl with dressing; toss to coat. Top with drained red beets. Sprinkle with goat cheese and basil.
- To avoid staining, wear plastic gloves while peeling and chopping red beets.
- Sherry vinegar can be replaced with apple cider vinegar if desired.